Followers

Monday, April 20, 2009

Onions Do Weird Things

I was "helping" Adam til up new ground the other day and got distracted. Not by the weeds in my onion beds, of course, but by the onions themselves. They are called walking onions. Let me show you why. Take a really close look at these onions. Do you see the what they're doing? Let us take a closer look. This onion appears as though it will be givning birth to some sort of alien life form in the very near future. When in all actuality it is getting ready to "walk".

So what happens is.... the new "green" growth has a seed pod at the end of it. You can see it in the picture below. They end up falling over and starting new bunches of multiplier onions. Multiplier because they grow in .... you guessed it! Multiples! This is all very exciting, I know.

Here we go again.



For some reason I always think they look "snaky" when they start to protrude all curled up like that. See the red blob at the top of the picture below? There is my baby - tilling away while I ponder on the meaning of onions with weird growth habits. What would he do without me?




Hello little baby onion.


And just so ya know, we (I actually did help WEED) did weed the onions. They are happier now - as are all of the baby chamomille plants that I found growing. Yay!!! Reseeding plants are wonderful things.
Have a good day, people. Warm weather is almost here to stay! Dwell on that if this latest cool spell gets ya down....


No comments: