Followers

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Weeds are Flowers, too...

The definition of the word "weed" to many gardeners these days is, "Any unwanted plant".

When I first saw the plant below, I classified it as a "weed" - something that I should eradicate from my garden, herb and flower beds, and life with great fervor and satisfaction.























Then I watched it grow...





















and grow...the sun stayed up for longer and the days got warmer...























It then bolted... (see above) ...and then it did the most amazing thing...

































Last year, Adam and I found these flowers next to the chicken pen...I vowed to let that very patch grow so that this spring we could identify the plant in it's vegetative stage. We let the patch grow up, but I only noticed it after it bolted. :) BUT...while weeding one day, I noticed the similarity in the leaves of the "weed" I had already pulled out of my garden aisles 30-THOUSAND times and the leaves of the pretty flowering plants that you see above. I think God was teaching me a lesson - and not just in plants...

Sidenote: Penny, the Walker Hound, needs a lovin' home...she was lost on our road and Adam found her half starved about one half of a mile from our home. She is loyal, faithful, and loves other dogs, big people, and kids too - just ask Wiebke!!

2 comments:

Betsy said...

That's a good plug in for the dog! ;0)

SO... yesterday i planted 2 rows of okra, 3 rows of beans, 1 row of autumn multi colored sunflower seeds. NOW i just need to get some zuccini to plant. AND i have a different kind of sunflower seed to plant, too. I am excited. I also HILLED my potatos some more!! :0) AND rudy went to get me some mulch today for my flower beds!!!!!!!!!! :0) (GOD bless sweet father-in-laws, Gardens that grow when you are clueless on what you are doing, and flowers/weeds that make us smile!)

Jim said...

This weeks blog is about the attitude of joy. You have started my week out on the right foot.